Promoting Social Integration and Reconciliation in Kosovo
Starting in 2010, DRC Kosovo facilitated the first larger-scale urban return project and demonstrated that the country is stable and mature enough to welcome back and reintegrate displaced minority families in high-profile urban locations in Kosovo.
In collaboration with local partners, municipal authorities and the local community, DRC assists the return and reintegration of displaced minority families and individuals as well as refugees to Nenkalaja / Podkaljaja in Prizren and Gjakova/Đakovica.
- to date we enabled 40 Serbian families who have spent many years in displacement to find a durable solution and return to their place of origin in dignity
- we provided tailor-made socio-economic support and community development projects to help returnees improve their living conditions
- we built homes for the returning families constructed in line with cultural heritage requirements to restore and protect the historic centre of Prizren
- we helped build the capacities of local, municipal and national authorities to increase their engagement and management of the return and reintegration process
Currently DRC is facilitating returns to Gjakova/Đakovica town. The project aims to find durable solutions for up to 7 displaced minority families and provide additional stabilization support for 1 receiving community family through enhanced Kosovo authorities’ capacities, higher inter-ethnic interaction and increased livelihood opportunities. In addition to this, an International Expert will be seconded to KPCVA to support KPCVA Offices Kosovo-wide with a gradual handover of all responsibilities to national staff in all offices by the end of the project.
With this urban return project, DRC, its beneficiaries and partners contribute to create a multi-ethnic Kosovo, support the Kosovo government’s IDP returns programme and promote integration and reconciliation between ethnic communities inKosovo.
The project is financed by the British Embassy. The project is implemented by the Danish Refugee Council.
Project partners in Prizren:
- Prizren Municipality
- Gjakova/Đakovica Municipality
For more information about the project contact: